SHINGLETOWN MEDICAL CENTER
MEDICAL DIRECTOR JOB POSTING
Join us to provide health care services in a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) located in California’s beautiful western sierras. Shingletown is a small town located along California State Route 44 in the mountains just below Mount Lassen. We are also known as “The Gateway to Lassen”. For additional information about Shingletown Medical Center check us out at www.shingletownmedcenter.org. Work as an integral part of our provider staff by participating in our medical/behavioral health team, QA/QI and additional staff teams. Will also perform supervision of PA/NP staff.
Regular/Full-Time Benefited Employee, upon satisfactory completion of a 90-day introductory period.
The Medical Director is responsible for assuring the quality of clinical practice at Shingletown Medical Center (SMC) through the maintenance of a quality assurance process to monitor clinical policies and procedures used to ensure quality of patient care with sensitivity to efficiency, access and cost effectiveness. The Medical Director maintains good communication with both the Clinical Staff and the management team helping to resolve problems related to operational issues that impact on patient care services. The Medical Director is the lead spokesperson for the Clinical Staff, represents them at Management and Board meetings, and along with the Clinic Nurse Manager and Back Office Supervisor is their management representative. The Medical Director also assists in budget and operational planning by providing input into the decision-making process and shares responsibility for keeping clinical expenses within budget guidelines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Prime Responsibility – The Medical Director takes a leadership role in achieving objectives and handling problems. Such responsibilities are those that can only be reasonably done by a physician and are clinically oriented functions.
Shared Responsibility – The Medical Director shares in a leadership role with the Chief Executive Officer in achieving objectives or resolutions to clinical problems or systems/process issues affecting patient care and access to services.
Consultative – The Medical Director will be consulted on issues that may have an impact on the medical staff, the quality of clinical practice and access to services provided at Shingletown Medical Center (SMC).
1. Manages direct reports and clinical staff through effective Clinical Staff meetings. Chairs meetings of the Clinical Staff to ensure appropriate information exchange; provides recommendations and decision-making on issues of clinical significance; provides recommendations from the Clinical Staff on management issues.
2. Oversees process to review quality of care; coordinates quality assurance program; ensures compliance and rectifies deficits in order to improve patient care and access to care. Educates providers about utilization practices, assure ongoing peer review, compliance with licensing requirements, and ensures any deficits are rectified.
3. Ensures that in the absence of a primary care provider, a mechanism is established so that a clinician is available to review lab, x-ray reports and prescription refills and follow-up medical care is provided in a timely fashion.
4. Ensures adequate continuity of care through coordinated coverage by Clinical Staff including the recruitment of temporary coverage during vacation time.
5. Provides a process for proper supervision of all clinical staff and monitors the performance of all direct reports. Performs annual reviews of all clinicians and makes recommendations for increase in salary according to organizational guidelines. Takes appropriate disciplinary action for inadequate performance of clinicians or complaints relating to the clinical and professional skills of the provider.
6. Reviews credentials and delineates clinical privileges for physicians and mid-level providers employed at the clinic.
7. Acts as liaison between Clinical Staff and Management.
8. Represents the Clinical Staff to the SMC Board of Directors and provides regular reports on issues affecting the delivery of clinical services as well as issues related to the job satisfaction of the Clinical Staff.
1. Effectively assists in the setting of policies for clinic operations with an emphasis on quality of care, access to care, fiscal resources and efficiency.
2. In conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer, coordinate the provision of the clinical services and ensure the effective mobilization of resources that support quality, cost effective health care services, including but not limited to patient education, referral, access, and scheduling.
3. In conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer and others, identifies the medical work force needs of the clinic and evaluates prospective clinician candidates.
4. Along with the Chief Executive Officer and others, effectively collaborates and coordinates with outside organizations that participate in the provision of services to SMC patients. Develop protocols with area healthcare facilities for emergency services, transfer, hospitalization, and follow up of SMC patients, and coordination of paperwork in both directions.
1. Provides guidance and recommendations to the CEO in areas of medical personnel recruitment and retention strategies, including specialty service providers.
2. Provides assistance to the CEO and Board of Directors on how to broaden the scope of services and improve access to services provided by the clinic.
3. Makes recommendations to the Clinic Nurse Manager regarding medical support staff issues relating to clinical skills, performance standards and issues relating to complaints about staff or patient service delivery problems.
4. Provides supervision, support and guidance to the clinical staff. Is responsible for assuring that consultative support is available to the FNP/PA staff whenever they are on duty.
Rate of Pay: Negotiable along with days/hours.
1. Effectively represents the interests of SMC to outside agencies and interest groups.
GENERAL AGENCY DUTIES:
1. Foster an environment that promotes trust and cooperation among all staff of SMC.
2. Follow and enforce clinic policies and procedures to ensure that the principles of SMC are implemented.
3. Maintain confidentiality of all patient and employee record/information.
4. Attend all SMC mandatory meetings and other meetings as required
5. Promote multicultural environment for clinic
1. Participates in customer service related issues. Adheres to the following customer service values created for SMC:
a. We continue to provide quality care and strive to continually improve.
b. We strive to treat patients and each other with respect, courtesy and compassion.
c. We believe that it is everyone’s responsibility to identify problems, take ownership and contribute to solutions.
d. We promote teamwork and cooperation to create an environment that maximizes efficiency and satisfaction.
e. We actively encourage open communication and mutual education.
1. Display professional demeanor and make constructive comments when on duty.
2. Refrain from participation in harmful gossip, dysfunctional group interactions and divisive behavior.
3. Display courteous and professional behavior in all interactions with the public, staff and peers.
4. Work cooperatively with other staff members.
5. Display flexibility in accepting, changing or carrying out assignments.
6. Adhere to dress code.
1. Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in written English.
2. May be exposed to pathogens/contagious disease.
3. Handle demanding patients with courtesy.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Previous management skills in a similar position.
2. Experience working in a non-profit clinical environment
3. Experience and knowledge consistent with a licensed primary care physician.
4. Proficiency in the use of computer applications such as Microsoft Office and the clinic EMR.
5. Strong ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, staff and patients.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
1. Board Certified Primary Care Physician.
2. Licensed in the State of California as MD or DO without any limitations on license to practice in area of specialty.
3. Current DEA certificate.