Winter weather is bound to be at our doorstep soon. It’s that time of year when slips, trips and falls occur at an increasing number. Please be safe this winter!
- Wear the proper foot gear
- Take small steps to keep your center of balance under you.
- Never run on icy ground
- Keep both hands free for balance rather than in your pockets
- Use handrails from start to finish
- Avoid carrying loads on stairs or be sure you can see over them
- Step carefully out of vehicles and equipment. Don’t jump!
When these helpful hints don’t work and you know you are going to slip, try to reduce your potential injury by:
- Rolling with the fall. Try to twist and roll backwards rather than falling forward
- Relax as much as possible when you begin to fall
- Toss the load you are carrying. Protect yourself instead of the objects being carried
A few simple precautions can help reduce your chances of being injured from a slip and fall.
- Use floor mats
- Don’t allow rain that has collected on your umbrella to drip onto the floor
- Be aware of potential slip, trip and fall hazards
- Don’t wear shoes with soles of hard plastic, leather or high-heels, especially in wet or icy weather
- Use a handrail where available
The staff and board of Shingletown Medical Center wish you a safe and happy New Year!