Fall is in the air with the first day on Thursday, September 22nd. SMC would like to share with you some tips that may help you during this beautiful season. These weight loss tips may take a little more work, than summer weight loss tips. The farmer’s markets are winding down, but still loaded with the end of summer produce, and many new root veggies. The days are getting shorter, and the dark is coming earlier, making it more difficult to get out. Enjoying the great outdoors, after work for that hike, walk, or bike ride, takes a little more planning! With a little work, you can keep up the healthy eating and exercising, and avoid those extra few pounds, that seem to always creep up on us as the holidays near.
• Fill up on herb teas, brewed coffees, lower fat lattes, or best choice water! Calorie drinks will always be deadly to your waistline. The average person drinks hundreds of calories per day, in drinks. Don’t let the colder weather lure you into grabbing that loaded coffee drink daily, like so many people tend to do! There are so many different flavored herbal teas! Become a connoisseur of these, and adopt the habit of not drinking calories!
• Fill up on seasonal fruits! Fall brings different fruits that you can enjoy! Apples, Figs, Grapes, Pears, Pomegranates, Bananas, Clementine’s, Tangerines, Oranges, Cranberries, Persimmons, Kiwi, and Grapefruits are plentiful. It’s still possible to make a wonderful fall fruit salad, or slice a pear on everyone’s plate for dinner. Fruit will satisfy your sweet tooth!
• Fill up on seasonal veggies! Make vegetables the centerpiece of your meals to encourage fall weight loss. Fill your plate half full, at least for lunch and dinner. Become acquainted with veggies that you do not know! Seasonal acorn squash, butternut squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, parsnips, pumpkin, beets, chestnuts, and sweet potatoes are plentiful.
• Become a crock pot expert! Crock pot meals have many benefits. They end the dinner dilemma of what to cook! When you are tired and not in the mood to cook; it’s easy to quickly give in to fast food, which is more caloric than a home cooked meal. Put your meal on before you leave for work, and you will be greeted by the most wonderful smelling house! Crock pots allow you to cook without added fat, and produce flavorful foods.
• Soups, soups and more soups! Become an experimental soup maker! There are endless ways to combine a protein source, grains, vegetables, and herbs into the most glorious soup concoctions. You may need to start with a basic recipe, but learn to make substitutions, and add your favorite veggies, herbs and spices, to your soups. Plan on making one night a week, a soup night! Make a huge pot of soup that can be taken for lunches the rest of the week too and help with fall weight loss. Nothing takes the chill off, like a home-made bowl of soup!
• Take advantage of the nice fall days: Take a walk, hike, bike ride, run, or engage in any outdoor sport that you love. Enjoy the fresh cooler weather that is invigorating, and admire the beauty of the trees changing colors, and the smell of the leaves in the air! You might need to squeeze in your walk or run at your lunch hour, if it is dark by the time you arrive home. Plan a longer hike or bike ride on the weekend too! Make the time for this and you might be surprised at your fall weight loss!
Shingletown Medical Center (SMC) Board Members and Staff wish you a Happy & Healthy Fall Season!